PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN LOADING AND TRANSPORTING YOUR PURCHASES
We cannot be responsible for any damages to your vehicle, persons, or merchandise in loading your vehicle or driving home. Please use an appropriate vehicle, and bring rope or other methods to tie down and prevent spillage. If you cannot do so, we can suggest a delivery service that you can hire.
POOL CHEMICALS ARE DANGEROUS
Chemical containers can spill or leak, causing severe damage to eyes, skin, clothing, carpet or other surfaces and /or liberate irritating fumes.
Transportation of chemicals in vehicle passenger compartments can be unsafe. It is done at your own risk and is not recommended.
Ship and store chemical containers upright, and secure them in transit to prevent tipping or spilling. Caps can loosen in storage; tighten before moving.
Many closures are vented and can leak in transit.
Container exterior may be soiled by adjacent spillage. Don’t put on surfaces subject to chemical damage. Enclose in a plastic bag to avoid spill damage.
Always read first aid and all label statements. If accidentally spilled, rinse residue immediately with plenty of water. Call the store for more specific advice, or request a copy of the Material Safety Data Sheet.
All liquids expand when heated. They can easily burst open the bottle when left in a hot car.
All liquid shocks have vented caps which will leak if tipped or even standing upright in a hot car or shed.
We are not responsible for chemical damage to persons, vehicles, or other property.
Here is some more information from our Pool School on Chemistry:
Chemical Handling and Safety
- Transport all chemicals upright, in the trunk of your car, so they cannot spill on passengers in an accident.
- Bring them right home. Do not leave them in the trunk on a hot day. They could expand and burst open in the heat.
- All shocks and oxidizers have vented caps and even micro-holes in their bags, by federal law. Liquid shocks will leak if they are tipped or if heat expands the liquid.
- Keep all chemicals away from children.
- Store all chemicals away from heat and moisture.
- Never open chlorine in an enclosed area, especially an automatic chlorinator (which does not belong inside a pool shed). Chlorine gas can overwhelm you quickly and kill you.
- Allowing chlorine to mix with anything, including more chlorine, can ignite violently. In fact, adding small amounts of water to chlorine (especially calcium hypochlorite) can start a dangerous fire. It requires large amounts of water to put out a chlorine fire.
- Separate chlorines and shocks from other chemicals by something inert. Keep all chlorines away from acids. Combining them can release very poisonous chlorine gas.
- Keep them tightly closed. Chlorine fumes can ignite gasoline fumes. They can also corrode metals (including electrical wiring) in the area.
- Read all chemical warnings and take them seriously.
- If you spill chemicals, call us and we’ll read you clean-up directions from a MSDS. Here, only the most senior pool expert on duty can clean-up a spill.
- Generally, the only legal disposal of chlorine will be into a swimming pool. There is a reason that you cannot bring chlorine even to Hazardous Chemical Day at the dump!
- If you use anything to wipe up spilled chlorine or chlorine shock, do not put it in the trash. Paper towels can actually heat up and catch fire later in the day! Soak them in large amounts of water and let them sit in the sun until the chlorine evaporates.
- Always add chemicals to water, never add water to chemicals.
- So fill a bucket with pool water and add your chemicals to that. Do not put chemicals in a bucket then pour water into it.
- Water is a chemical. Perfectly good drinking water can have hundreds of chemicals in it that do not hurt you.
- Water balance chemicals are already in almost all water. We fix the amounts with chemicals that are also used in making food. They are very safe in small quantities and moderately safe in large quantities.
- The three chemicals that kill things are more dangerous: sanitizers, shocks, and algaecides. Even so, you are expected to drink pool water on occasion.
- By far, the most dangerous chemical is chlorine. It is as dangerous as gasoline and it causes cancer. You have also been drinking it for your entire life because it kills bacteria very cheaply – and that bacteria kills more people than chlorine does.
“Seasonal Specialty Stores is ‘out-of-my-way’, I will continue to buy all my chemicals there because of the helpful service.”
Christian, Litchfield, NH
“The combination of your staff and the ease of using Baquacil has made pool ownership a joy! Thank you so much. We look forward to another season with you!”
Steve & Leah